Sunday, November 23, 2008

BlackGun


BlackGun


Eye
put grease in my holster so thin the leather squeaked and snapped the
tie down cut into my jeans and missed my leg the handle of the pistol
butt was angled up to fit my palming hand. The trigger was half cock
to let me decide eye can thumb the gun to make it spit or eye can put
the hammer down in just one click. Eye can spin the thing like a
Cowboy at a show but eye never did. Eye walked in the shadows with a
black gun tied. Eye let fate decide the devil and a break would tell
and then the gun fell from my hand. They buried me with that holster
on my hip the gun they tossed under a passing ship. One day the grave
was gone just empty like. The sheriff paused and swiped and wiped his
face was hot near the passing tide. He was afraid that eye would get
that black gun sometime. That man had sworn to see me dead but he was
scared when eye told him eye was coming again. The good lord and
Justice on my side. Eye jumped in the River and went for a swim in
the grim black water to look for the rim of a pistol grip. In the
murky fathoms it struck me to the quick that eye was not a human man
in this risen life thing. For the water was deep but eye did not need
to breathe as eye closed my palm on the handle of the black gun eye
began to sing. A life for a life a man is still a king. A long way to
Heaven when there is work to do. One man living in the killing that
he do. One man making one more try at the Justice of this life. You
see they shot me in the shadows without a sound of advice. No warning
it was just not fair. A rattlesnake rattles a little bit there in the
shadows before he bites. A Sherriff who is a bad man just steps a
little to the right and hides behind a barrel and then fights. He was
there standing near the spot where he saw me dive in. Eye stepped out
of the shadows and then stepped a little to the right and got behind
a barrel near the shoreline. Eye raised that black gun and then eye
shot him.



No comments: