Monday, November 30, 2009

DAY

DAY


for John Jesus 


HOW do you knoe what day it is ? there was no answer. I tapped the wall again with my plasticup. This time it came back three taps. HOW do you mark time ? There was this long pause I almost missed his hurried "wwwith a pencil; on the wallll" I smiled no need now for taps at all , I tried to make it louder in the wall. HOW DO YOU KNOE what day it is ? This time I heard him quite easily. NO need to yell HE said I was only just whispering. Keep your voice DOWN the guards would punish you for talking to me. I am ready now said HE. I smiled. WHY, its Saturday. HE said its also now the 24th of Feburary putting that extrra r in it like most inmates do. I missed Valentines day there was no one in here to tap on the wall and to talk. Thank you for bringing me up. TO date. Its marked now on the wall. I will leave here next Tuesday 27th after all its only thirty days in the hole. WHy are you in this place I mean why were you arresstted you are doing time like a felony person ? You are green HE said they call it a Felon. I spit on the sidewalk near a Copper Patrolman he stepped he slapped his cuffed on me hurt my ear bad. I get no blanket on the bed the coffee cold one cutt of meat so old on bread. Oh is that all you did ? At least the Killing is over I got the last one of them the last Saturday that I was still free. I almost hit his girl but she screamed and HE came running quick and I Zapped him with my ZIP gun. DAY, HE said. Whats that ? I almost whispered it. Your namme is DAY, in stir. I made a mark on the wall where i had started my calendar with a pencil there. Saturday with a slash 24. I added FEB above it. Whats YOUR namme ? In stir ? It came back fast; Im ZIP. Its easy to get one bullit on the street to make a gun with a pipe and a twist it. How many are dead ? Three. HE sighed. There was three. What did they do to YOU ? I was almost crying now. They killed my Mother they put her to sleep like a dog. I said ZIP. HE said DAY. I paused long and I thought hardly at all. GOOD for you, was all I cuold say.


No comments: